At 16,415km, Tauranga is the furthest city (of 100k-plus inhabitants) in distance from Jerusalem. We are the first nation to see the sun rise.
Tauranga thus stands with significance, with being the furthest city from Jerusalem, and is inferred to in scripture where we read ‘from the ends of the earth’. This is part of our identity as a city and a nation. These scriptural promises hold special relevance to us and are promises that we can pray and declare over our city.
A 3,000-year old prophecy recorded in Malachi 1:11 says that from the place where the sun rises, the Lord has declared that there will be incense (prayer and worship) that will arise. The incense that rises is our response to God. Isaiah proclaimed:
“Therefore glorify the Lord in the dawning light, The name of the Lord God of Israel in the coastlands of the sea. From the ends of the earth we have heard songs:“Glory to the righteous!” (Isaiah 24:15-16a NKJV)
We can unite with this decree and lift up our voices from the coastlands, at the ends of the earth: “Glory to the righteous One!” Out of the place of the revelation of the glory of God, we worship Him and make proclamation over New Zealand of this reality.
From the ends of the earth, God has ordained and has declared that from the nation of New Zealand, and the islands around us, we will sing to Him out of this revelation.
We await with joyful expectancy and anticipation of the day when New Zealand, Aotearoa, ignites as one voice with the cry, ‘Glory to the righteous One!’
What follows are just some of the verses that hold powerful declarations from scripture to pray over our city.
- “I will proclaim the Lord’s decree: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have become your father. Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession.” (Psalm 2:7-8)
- “All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the LORD, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you.” (Psalm 22:27)
- “As your name, O God, so your praise reaches to the ends of the earth. Your right hand is filled with righteousness.” (Psalm 48:10)
- “The Mighty One, God the LORD, speaks and summons the earth from the rising of the sun to its setting.” (Psalm 50:1)
- “You answer us with awesome and righteous deeds, God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas, who formed the mountains by your power, having armed yourself with strength, who stilled the roaring of the seas, the roaring of their waves, and the turmoil of the nations. The whole earth is filled with awe at your wonders; where morning dawns, where evening fades, you call forth songs of joy.” (Psalm 65, vv5-8)
- “He has remembered his love and his faithfulness to Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.” (Psalm 98:3)
- “From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the LORD is to be praised!” (Psalm 113:3)
- “That people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the LORD, and there is no other.” (Isaiah 45:6)
- “From the west, men will fear the name of the LORD, and from the rising of the sun, they will revere his glory. For he will come like a pent-up flood that the breath of the LORD drives along.” (Isaiah 59:19)
- “For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name will be great among the nations, and in every place incense will be offered to my name, and a pure offering. For my name will be great among the nations, says the Lord of hosts.” (Malachi 1:11)
- “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.” (Acts 1:8)